“The People Who Are Crazy Enough to Think They Can Change the World, Are the Ones Who Do.”

steve jobs 1984 macintosh The People Who Are Crazy Enough to Think They Can Change the World, Are the Ones Who Do.This is probably the first and last time you’ll find me quoting an advertisement as inspiration.  But I love this 1997 ad from Apple.

“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They invent. They imagine. They heal. They explore. They create. They inspire. They push the human race forward. Maybe they have to be crazy. How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art? Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written? Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels? While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

*Thanks to the incomparable Debbie Stier, digital doyenne and creator of The Perfect Score Project, for pointing me to it. Debbie is the guest speaker at my author’s group meeting tonight. Can’t wait!

share this The People Who Are Crazy Enough to Think They Can Change the World, Are the Ones Who Do.

1. Starthrower on 24.03.2011 at 11:11 (Reply)

Yay! I love it.

2. Valerie on 24.03.2011 at 20:14 (Reply)

An even more recent Apple ad was simply “Think Different.” That thought was put onto several different posters with pictures of famous people, such as Gandhi, MLK Jr, Amelia Earheart, Etc. Introverts are thinkers who “think different.” thanks for the 1997 reminder that it is not so bad to be the misfit!

3. Jeanne on 24.03.2011 at 22:26 (Reply)

There ya go!

: )

4. Catherine on 25.03.2011 at 08:45 (Reply)

Everytime I read that quote I think, “I want to have this tatooed inside my eyelids…” I need that kind of reminder more regularly.

@Valerie, One of my favorite restaurants (Busboys and Poets for anyone in the DC area) had those ads up as artwork. I loved them!

5. Mary on 25.03.2011 at 10:07 (Reply)

Wow! Thank you – I needed that one today.

6. Irim on 26.03.2011 at 17:06 (Reply)

And here’s to Steve Jobs, who has become the ultimate narcissist and member of the establishment – and to Apple, who has become the fascist of the computer world.

Inspiring in the 80s, now just smug, self-absorbed and arrogant – which is why it now takes them 3 generations of any product to get it right.

7. Faisal on 11.03.2012 at 03:07 (Reply)

thanks Steve for telling the rest who just don’t understand or do not want to believe

8. teaj on 12.08.2012 at 09:16 (Reply)

introverts are selfish and arrogant enough to think they change the world. I can see that.

9. Facebook Promoter App on 01.03.2013 at 05:55 (Reply)

Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is amazing, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this .

10. Jarek on 15.06.2013 at 15:47 (Reply)

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong /Oscar Wilde/

11. S-Ann Ch'i on 03.09.2013 at 11:11 (Reply)

Love it!

12. fuhairah on 14.10.2013 at 00:22 (Reply)

please tell me what book is this from? Thanks!