Words to Live By — Courtesy of Lady Gaga

“When I wake up in the morning, I feel just like any other insecure 24-year old girl. Then I say, ‘Bitch, you’re Lady Gaga, you get up and walk the walk today.’”

(This quote was passed on by the incomparable Debbie Stier, of The Perfect Score Project.)

1. TFTD | Never Too Late on 03.08.2011 at 05:15

[…] (h/t) […]

2. Danielle on 03.08.2011 at 10:20 (Reply)

Apart from the B word, the message is good. However, I don’t recall having to talk to myself like that when I was 24. I actually had to be held back. It had a lot to do with the start of the feminism movement back then.

This said, now that I’m 56, these words no longer do the trick. I have yet to find what is missing and how to get myself all fired-up again. Maybe we’ll have to start a senior feminism movement. It isn’t from lack of vitamins and supplements, nor from reading uplifting books, blogs, positive thinking and such. I’ll let you know if I ever figure out what the missing ingredient is to get this “older broad” kicking again. Sorry, I’m no MaMa GaGa right now.

3. marla on 03.08.2011 at 14:42 (Reply)

Susan, You wouldn’t call her a introvert, would you? LOL….She is very fascinating to me…a one in a kind kinda gal.

1. Susan Cain on 03.08.2011 at 18:19 (Reply)

Not sure whether she’s an introvert or an extrovert, but she definitely considers her shy and a fish out of water. Here’s one interview with her:

“I don’t really meet that many other artists because I’m actually kinda shy. I might not be shy with people that I know but with people that I don’t know I am very shy.

“I generally really keep to myself and I am focused on my music. But when I do meet people that I have lots in common with it goes really well. I always feel shy in the Hollywood scene. I feel a bit like I did in high school, like I don’t really fit in.”

1. Sarah Noonan on 11.03.2012 at 09:56 (Reply)

For someone who identifies as shy Stefani Germanotta’s certainly able to put herself out there in a big way through her alter ego Lady Gaga.

4. Phil Holmes on 03.08.2011 at 18:02 (Reply)

One way to overcome introversion, I suppose, is to take on the role of someone who isn’t; this will work for a short while. It’s what I do every time I train. No, I don’t wear Lady Gaga makeup; however, I do take on the role of a trainer, and I inhabit it for a while (and enjoy myself). And when I’m done, I’m exhausted.

And so is she.

Google “Lady Gaga and exhaustion” and see how many hits you get.

1. Susan Cain on 03.08.2011 at 18:20 (Reply)

Fascinating, I hadn’t know that about her exhaustion.

I do the same as you when I speak — take on a role — and I think that is a fine and good thing to do, but only, as you say, for a short while.

5. Kristen on 03.08.2011 at 20:37 (Reply)

I never liked her much until I read that quote, great…I could use that as my mantra.

6. Karen on 04.08.2011 at 13:49 (Reply)

I read that Freddie Mercury was also shy when not performing.

7. Brittany on 05.08.2011 at 22:42 (Reply)

I didn’t know that she considers herself shy and out of place, interesting! She’s definitely very bold and unconventional.

8. Paul on 07.08.2011 at 20:49 (Reply)

Unfortunately, walking the walk for her is annoying for so many of us who try to avoid her presence on the world stage!

She’s extremely talented, and she is sexy, so I should not be complaining. I’m just not a fan of her music, but I am not in her demographic target audience either.

Good to see a mention of Freddie Mercury in the comments, I am big fan of Queen, though.