Want to Suggest Our Next Book Club Pick?

Hi everyone,

Wanted to report that on Tuesday night, we had a terrific inaugural meeting of the QUIET Online Book Club! I was inspired by how enthusiastically everyone participated, and what useful things you all had to say about “Gilead,” our first book selection. I’ve been thinking about the book differently since hearing your perspectives, and I’m already deep into the sequel, “Home.” (I know some of you are planning to read “Home,” too. Feel free to ping me on my Facebook page if you want to discuss it.)

Now it’s time to plan the September meeting, and I have two questions for you:

1) Want to suggest our next book?

2) For those who participated on Tuesday, I’d love to hear any suggestions you may have for improving the Book Club.

Thanks!

1. Laura on 17.08.2011 at 21:01 (Reply)

Hi Susan. I would vote for Super Sad True Love Story, by Gary Shteyngart since it was such a close second to Gilead in the previous voting and I have a feeling I wouldn’t read it w/o the prodding of a reading group.

I really enjoyed the GILEAD discussion and will be moving on to HOME once I finish READING MY FATHER by Alexandra Styron (which I’m dragging through for some reason). I can’t really think how to make the FB book club much better: you did a great job with publicizing it and throwing out some really good seed questions. I have no idea if other online reading groups have licked the timing/thread confusion, but in the end it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Looking forward to the next one…

PS Do you prefer that we post comments here on your blog or on your FB page?

1. Susan Cain on 18.08.2011 at 08:08 (Reply)

Oh, interesting, Laura, I was planning to read the Alexandra Styron book too, since the writing seemed so great in the excerpts I read in reviews.

I’m actually thinking of holding the next Book Club here on the blog, partly to see what it’s like with threaded discussions, which we have the capability to do here, and partly because some people told me they would have liked to participate but didn’t want to join Facebook.

As for comments on this post, thx and yes, I would go ahead and just post them here. But you can also always feel free to post stuff on my FB wall. I check both several times a day.

2. Eileen on 18.08.2011 at 07:49 (Reply)

I started Super Sad True Love Story, so I would love to do that. Here is another suggestion: My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki. Whether you are vegetarian or not, or whether you like comedic novels or not, there is a TON to discuss in this very interesting story, which is stitched together by three distinct narrative voices.

1. Susan Cain on 18.08.2011 at 08:13 (Reply)

Good idea about Super Sad, Eileen. Also going to check out My Year of Meats, which I’ve never heard of before. Thx!

3. Susan Cain on 18.08.2011 at 08:10 (Reply)

By the way, note to Gilead readers: I’m reading HOME now, and the description of Jack in that book makes it clear that he’s something of an introvert. In GILEAD I thought it was more ambiguous.

4. Kimberly on 18.08.2011 at 09:51 (Reply)

I was SO upset to miss Tuesday night … was all set to go until a friend’s personal emergency happened. Sorry to have missed but what kind of friend am I if I bailed when it mattered … ?

That off my chest - I want to say THANK YOU for choosing GILEAD (I voted for Super Sad … )but admit that GILEAD is a BEAUTIFUL book that I may have otherwise never known.

So, my vote for the next book is Super Sad b/c, as Laura said, it came in as such a close 2nd. Open to other choices too.

5. Matthew Hunter on 18.08.2011 at 09:52 (Reply)

Hi Susan,
    It seems the group is mainly interested in great nonfiction works like Gilead. Along that line, I would suggest a book by Haitian American author Edwidge Danticat, specifically Farming of Bones or Krik? Krak!

If you want to turn in a nonfiction direction, I’ve found Marti Olsen Laney’s The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World to be very helpful.

I hope those suggestions prove helpful!

Warmest regards,
    Matthew Hunter

6. Hyperhidrosis--My Life as a Puddle on 18.08.2011 at 10:27 (Reply)

I highly suggest fathermothergod: My Journey out of Christian Science by Lucia Grrenhouse. It’s very interesting.

7. Jo La on 30.08.2011 at 15:50 (Reply)

I would suggest Butterfly Tears

8. K on 11.10.2011 at 14:20 (Reply)

how about Cleapatra by Stacy Schiff or The Tiger: A True Story Of Vengeance And Survival by John Vaillant?