The Votes Are In, and The Next QUIET Book Club Selection Is…

…People of the Book, by Geraldine Brooks.

I’m not so surprised by this choice, since I think that many people who are attracted to this blog ARE people of the book (not in the Biblical sense, but in the bibliophilical one). In fact, when my husband and I got married, we made up Hebrew surnames for ourselves. Mine was “bat Sefer,” which means “daughter of the book.” So there you are!

Anyway, here were the votes:

People of the Book: 25 votes
Super Sad True Love Story: 19 votes
A Gesture Life: 11 votes

(55 votes in all)

The first meeting of the Book Club, which was in August, was a real treat. I’m looking forward to the second one! It will be held right here on the blog, three weeks from now, on September 28th, from 8 to 9:30 p.m. EST. I’ll send another reminder closer to the date.

Please let me know whether you think you can make it (or, for future reference, whether you prefer a different time slot). Thanks!

1. Anne on 07.09.2011 at 20:36 (Reply)

I’ll try to make it! I must confess, I only just finished Gilead today, so I’m not 100% sure I’ll be completely finished with it, but I’ll try!

2. Sarah/sawcat on 07.09.2011 at 21:12 (Reply)

I should be able to make that, based on my current workload, but I won’t be certain until the week before. But the time is early for those of us on the West Coast. That’s 5pm PST to start so those on typical job schedules probably won’t be on that early. Unless the questions would be posted sometime during that time, and it be open for commenting the next day or two. I wasn’t able to do the Gilead one, so not sure how you intend to run it.

1. Susan Cain on 08.09.2011 at 20:21 (Reply)

Hmm. If we held it at 9 pm EST (so 6 pm PST), would that make a difference for you?

1. Sarah/sawcat on 08.09.2011 at 23:20 (Reply)

I am definitely home by 6pm. That works much better for me.

3. Patricia on 08.09.2011 at 07:47 (Reply)

I work until 9:00 on Wednesday nights, but perhaps I can chime in later or the next day… Excited about the selection for this month! :)

4. Noel on 08.09.2011 at 10:51 (Reply)

I will be there. Thanks.

5. Laura on 08.09.2011 at 12:22 (Reply)

I’ll be there! You should have an Amazon Associates account link for those who want to buy the book when you announce it. That makes it easy for us, and the little fee you’ll make can help cover your time for setting up and running the book club so nicely.

1. Laura on 08.09.2011 at 17:33 (Reply)

I just told my husband that the next QUIET book club pick was “People of the Book.” And he said, “Like our license plate!” I laughed, and then had to admit he was right, although a totally different context. If you’re wondering what he means, check out the photo here: http://happytoshare.tumblr.com/post/3444796386/this-is-what-happens-when-an-author-is-married-to

1. Susan Cain on 08.09.2011 at 20:26 (Reply)

Oh now that is very funny. Which of you is the author (and of what) and which the editor (and of what)? (if you don’t mind my asking.)

1. Laura on 10.09.2011 at 10:29 (Reply)

My husband, Warren Berger, writes nonfiction books about innovation, venturing into fiction with a self-published novel last year. I am a longtime mag and book editor who now offers hands-on help to authors overwhelmed with marketing themselves and their books. (My husband was my first client, naturally.) Those “How to Promote Yourself and Your Work” tips you just posted from Adam McHugh were spot-on and very helpful/doable. Still, I’ve found in the long run that many authors/introverts are like Bartleby, saying about self-promotion “I would prefer not to.” (Ooops, I guess the latter part of this comment belongs under that post.)

6. Jon on 08.09.2011 at 16:35 (Reply)

I’ve marked my calendar for this one. I’ve been (mostly) lurking on the (insightful) blog for awhile now, and I’ve had this particular book on my “read soon” list too. So I will bow to synchronicity and join in.

1. Susan Cain on 08.09.2011 at 20:32 (Reply)

That is great, Jon, thanks for writing to say so. You know, I’ve mostly been a lurker on other blogs too, because I guess I never really thought the bloggers could possibly be reading all those comments. But now that I’m a blogger myself, I see how wrong I was…

7. Rachel on 09.09.2011 at 18:10 (Reply)

I might not particapte in this discussion because I’ll be going on vacation this month. But I’ll try to read it after the vacation and see if I can finish reading the book. Maybe I’ll spend a few days just reading and can join in the discussion.

8. Valerie on 10.09.2011 at 20:08 (Reply)

I have put this on my calendar and I have put the book on hold at the library. I should be getting it soon.