Three Ways to Celebrate the Quiet Revolution

quite book Three Ways to Celebrate the Quiet RevolutionHi everyone,

Today is launch day! Six years in the making, my book QUIET: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, is finally being released into the world. Please join me in the grand unleashing of the QUIET Revolution.

To mark the occasion, here are three ways to celebrate:

1) Take a quiet moment to yourself today. Read a book. Sip a latte. Look out the window. (Then do the same thing, every single day, for the rest of your life.)

2) If you live in NYC, join me for a Q and A tonight with the ridiculously eloquent author Naomi Wolf. Naomi is a close friend and an excellent poser of questions. She’ll be in charge of the Q’s, and I’ll handle the A’s. (McNally Jackson Bookstore, 52 Prince Street, 7 pm!) And come say hello afterwards.

3) Read one of the first reviews of QUIET, from the New York Journal of Books, which calls it a “must-read.” Here’s an excerpt:

It has been said that if you encounter a few or even one worthwhile idea, useful story or statistic, or actionable insight then the lecture or course or book is well worth the time and the investment. By this measure, Quiet is worth a entire library as it is so brimming with insights stacked on evocative stories, substantiated by authoritative research, and supported by telling explanations.

One measure of an extraordinary book is that it prompts the reader to reframe his or her view of the world, to recognize and reaffirm patterns, to consider implications that might not have previously been entertained. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking is this type of extraordinary book. Read the rest here.

And last but not least, don’t forget to order QUIET for yourself or a friend! Even if you’re a longtime reader of this blog, the content overlaps by no more than 10-15%.

Thank you for all your support this past year. It has meant the world to me.

share this Three Ways to Celebrate the Quiet Revolution

1. Darren on 24.01.2012 at 10:29 (Reply)

Congratulations and very best wishes for tonight Susan.

I’ve pre-ordered the book from Amazon UK but will have to wait several weeks yet :(

2. Dan on 24.01.2012 at 12:58 (Reply)

“Out for Delivery”. I await the doorbell.

3. Barb Markway on 24.01.2012 at 13:00 (Reply)

Happy Launch Day! I have no doubt it will be on best-seller lists soon!

4. Terry on 24.01.2012 at 14:15 (Reply)

I received the book 2 hours ago from Amazon. I am reading as fast as I can. I only have one regret in life and that is not understanding my introversion earlier in life. However, this book helps me to regret less and plan for a great future. Really love the inclusion of so many psychological studies to explain introversion and behavior. Susan, I only wish you had challenged Jack Welch a little bit more – I believe the attitude of “turning introverts into extroverts” is really damaging to people and companies. Thanks Susan for this book!!!

p.s. I have never posted comments about a book, but felt compelled to do so today.

5. Emily on 24.01.2012 at 20:56 (Reply)

THANK YOU! Susan, thank you so much for this wonderful book. I learned about it from your piece in the NY Times this weekend; pre-ordered the book on iBookstore, downloaded it this morning and am already more than halfway through. I can’t remember the last time I literally couldn’t put down a book. Until recently, I thought of my introversion as something to overcome, rather than something to celebrate. Only during the past couple of years have I really embraced introversion and learned to work with it instead of against it. It is thrilling to see introverts standing up and challenging the Extrovert Ideal!

Congratulations on your big day!

6. Mary Ellen on 24.01.2012 at 22:35 (Reply)

Such a glowing review! Am awaiting my copy, which should be here by Friday. Meanwhile, hoping you enjoy every minute of this rich adventure. So sorry to miss your event in NY but I’m imagining that the atmosphere will be full of good energy and excitement for you and your work. All the best

7. Lisa on 25.01.2012 at 00:58 (Reply)

Whew, it’s high time someone said this. I was excited to see your book. In my working life, I’ve been reviled for being “too quiet,” which is considered an enormously negative characteristic. I’ve also noticed that even when I do speak up more in meetings, I tend to be talked over and ignored–possibly because of my essential lack of aggressiveness. So that even when I do talk more, I am still perceived as being quiet. And sometimes when I venture an idea that does break through and get positively noticed, it is not recognized as mine, because someone who is not so quiet grabs it and runs with it. It’s extremely hurtful to be criticized for being quiet, because it really is a rejection of one’s entire being. You are considered inferior simply because of your personality, which is something you can’t change–and don’t want to. I am looking forward to reading your book!

1. Bill on 30.01.2012 at 22:33 (Reply)

Everything you mentioned is exactly what I’ve experienced many times. Others will hear the idea but somehow it came from someone else’s mouth. Sometimes another person repeats the same idea verbatim right after you’ve said it, then that person is recognized as the originator of it. Has anyone else ever felt they had a cloak of invisibility in such situations?

1. Lisa on 30.01.2012 at 23:07 (Reply)

Yes, exactly–there is a feeling that you don’t exist, you are invisible, unnoticed. When I was a teenager, my family moved to a new city and I was sent to religious school at a synagogue where I knew no one. Especially at that age, I found it very hard to make any connections, so I quietly went about my business. One day, the teacher announced that the best paper for one assignment had been written by me. My classmates all looked around at each other, saying “Who?” They literally hadn’t noticed my existence in the months I’d been in the class. I’ve gotten more comfortable and a bit more outgoing around people as I’ve gotten older, but this still happens–this invisibility.

8. Tom Rhoads on 25.01.2012 at 09:18 (Reply)

I was delighted to get the message from B&N that “QUIET: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking” is now available on my Nook.

9. H Kjellin on 25.01.2012 at 10:18 (Reply)

Waiting for the package :-)
    All the best !!

10. Andrés González Cantú on 25.01.2012 at 12:24 (Reply)

Estimada Sra. Cain:

Hoy he leído una entrevista suya en “Scientific American” acerca de este libro. Voy a comprar un ejemplar hoy mismo. La felicito por abordar este tema y le deseo lo mejor.

11. Shanon on 25.01.2012 at 16:15 (Reply)

Congratulations Susan!! I can’t wait to read it!

12. Shannon on 25.01.2012 at 17:11 (Reply)

I’ve already started reading the book on my Kindle. Love it so far. Thanks so much for writing this.

13. charmaine on 25.01.2012 at 21:32 (Reply)

A friend told me about your book this morning. I have just ordered it online and can’t wait for it to arrive. I am a person that loves quietness, reading, solitude, small groups. Finding your blog I feel like I have struck gold. Charmaine, Melbourne Australia.

14. Meghie on 25.01.2012 at 22:15 (Reply)

Dear Susan, hi! I’m very curious to put my hands on your book and see what you’ve got to say at TED. I’ve read about you at Scientific American and got to say your interview really got me. But I have a little question: how is “collective intelligence” dealt with in your point of view?
    Thanks!

15. Anne on 26.01.2012 at 02:30 (Reply)

Congratulations Susan!

16. Sue on 26.01.2012 at 05:24 (Reply)

Arggh – everytime I’ve checked Amazon today it says the book is not available yet! I’m hoping this isn’t a sign that it isn’t available for purchase outside the US? (I am in NZ.) Am so looking forward to reading it once I can get hold of a copy.

1. charmaine on 26.01.2012 at 15:16 (Reply)

I ordered mine from fishpond.com.au.

1. Sue on 26.01.2012 at 17:59 (Reply)

I am after the e-book version, which doesn’t seem to be available to NZers unfortunately. :-(

17. Libby on 26.01.2012 at 07:59 (Reply)

Congratulations Susan. You must be very excited. I am an extrovert but think that extrovertism has been over-rated for too long and really enjoy the more introverted side of my personality and love your blog. I am very much looking forward to reading your book and telling my friends all about it! All the best

18. Mariam on 26.01.2012 at 09:19 (Reply)

A book long overdue. Quiet leadership — so undervalued in the corporate world. Well done, Susan.

19. Paul on 26.01.2012 at 09:43 (Reply)

Congrat!

Tried to get it from iBooks but was not available. I would like to get a digital version.

20. Laura on 26.01.2012 at 12:01 (Reply)

I missed the event at McNally Jackson. Will there be others in NY?

21. Barbara on 26.01.2012 at 12:02 (Reply)

Susan, thanks so much for the blog. I can’t wait to read the book. I saw a Time magazine editor on “Morning Joe” this morning discussing Time’s cover story prompted by your book. The Time cover, in my opinion unfortunately, refers to “shyness” rather than introversion. A lot of the discussion on the program this morning confused the two traits, with the panelists trying hard to explain how some politicians may be introverts despite their obvious ability to speak publicly, campaign, etc. Although the Time editor eventually got around to making the distinction between the two, I hope your book and your appearances promoting it will reinforce this point. We have to get past the idea that we introverts are doomed to be shy and incapable of leadership. Thanks again!

22. Greg on 26.01.2012 at 18:06 (Reply)

I’ve often felt creativity comes from our differences and when we think differently. Wonderful news, I cannot wait to download it to my Nook.

23. Barb on 26.01.2012 at 21:31 (Reply)

Done. Thank you so, so much for bringing ‘Quiet’ out on Kindle right away. Excuse me, I’m going to read. ^_^

24. Jane on 26.01.2012 at 23:26 (Reply)

Congratulations, Susan! I wish you all the best! I hope you can make it to L.A. :)

25. Chris Wheeler on 27.01.2012 at 10:19 (Reply)

THANK YOU LORD FOR LETTING THIS BOOK BE WRITTEN.. My husband and I are Introverts. 100 Percent. The first thing someone says is we do not seem like we are because we talk. Is that not about the most stupid thing. YES we talk, we do not hide in the corner and wad up in a ball and disappear. There are a lot of misconceptions of Introverts.

Most days our phone does not ring. We love that. Then we stay home creating our art with fabric. We both sew and quilt. We love that. We tend to vacation at the beach when the crowds are gone and there are not many people.

We draw from each other our energy. We were successful when we worked. We worked with over 400 people. How did we deal with that? Well I worked in a room where I was the only person in there unless the supervisors came in for something and he worked in a area where there were just about 3 or 4 people. I had to have something to do with all the 400 employees from time to time. NEVER ALL AT ONCE but one or one of a group of a few. When it was time to leave..in the car headed home to our peace…solitude our castle away from the rest of the world. Family members think we are strange. BUT WE ARE NOT. Neither one of us care about family get togethers. You can mention one and I get sick. I do not mind one one one two or up to 4 but after that..COUNT ME OUT! I feel like a rat trapped in an aquarium with a boa constrictor watching me waiting for me to warm up for lunch! Actually at get togethers I have almost had a major panic attack and to myself thinking I am going to have to go to ER.. So we avoid them. We will visit you anytime you want us to.. Just do not have a group of folks there. We can’t deal. THANKS FOR THIS BOOK.. I cant wait to get it.

26. John on 27.01.2012 at 11:47 (Reply)

Susan, THANK YOU for at last putting the worth of introverts out there. After many years I am finally happy in my own introversion in our extrovert world. I was interested in the examples you’ve given which are a great way to get the issue across to others. I’ll be buying and reading soon! John

27. waysidelynne on 27.01.2012 at 22:31 (Reply)

Got the ebook version and can’t wait to discuss it with my book club.

28. Renay on 28.01.2012 at 11:15 (Reply)

Best book I’ve read in a LONG time. So validating. Thank you and best of luck on your non-introvert-like book tour. Was it Brenda Ueland who said, “Strength to your Sword Arm”? Seems appropriate here, somehow.

29. Rebecca on 28.01.2012 at 23:39 (Reply)

The CBS Morning Show interview was so rushed. You were wonderful, but Charlie Rose needs to continue the discussion on his hour long show!! He’s such a thoughtful interviewer and would be perfect speaking with you one-on-one.

30. boris on 30.01.2012 at 20:30 (Reply)

‘By this measure, Quiet is worth a entire library as it is so brimming with insights stacked on evocative stories’

AN entire library… AN.

31. Bill on 30.01.2012 at 22:39 (Reply)

Susan, I just heard about your book on NPR today and am looking forward to reading it soon. Thank you for writing the book and pointing out the positive aspects of introverts!

32. Marilyn on 31.01.2012 at 06:27 (Reply)

Heard a teaser for this interview on NPR and immediately tweeted about it. Vindication at last! Thank you, thank you, thank you for writing this book! Must go blog about it now.

33. Denise on 02.02.2012 at 13:14 (Reply)

I just heard an interview you did on 97.3 in Seattle and I’m so excited to get this for my mother. She is an introvert and always feels ignored or left out or different. I am going to purchase this for her via Kindle. It seems so inspiring and encouraging and hopefully will uplift her to love herself as she is. I love her so much and I can’t wait for her to read it. Thank you so much for publishing this book. Take care.

34. Rachelle on 02.02.2012 at 20:58 (Reply)

QUIET not available in audiobook in Canada! Booo hooo hooo… I weep silently..