Emma Watson, Introvert, Truly Appreciates The Perks of Being a Wallflower

1369637366EmmaWatsonInt 580x807cropped Emma Watson, Introvert, Truly Appreciates The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Image source: rookiemag.com | Collage by: Minna

I loved, loved, loved the movie “Perks of Being a Wallflower,” starring the gorgeously sensitive Emma Watson. And now HERE SHE IS in ROOKIE magazine, declaring that she’s an introvert and a reader of QUIET!

Made. My. Day.

Here’s the full quote from Emma:

“[QUIET] discusses how extroverts in our society are bigged up so much, and if you’re anything other than an extrovert you’re made to think there’s something wrong with you. That’s like the story of my life. Coming to realize that about myself was very empowering, because I had felt like Oh my god, there must be something wrong with me, because I don’t want to go out and do what all my friends want to do.” — Emma Watson | ROOKIE

Dear Emma, if by chance you ever happen upon this post — I would love to talk to you about this. Many performers are introverts, and your many quiet-ish fans would be so inspired to hear more about your true self. Thank you!

share this Emma Watson, Introvert, Truly Appreciates The Perks of Being a Wallflower

1. Francisco on 18.06.2013 at 09:54 (Reply)

This is great!! Emma Watson is such a great person and role model. keep it up!

2. holly on 18.06.2013 at 09:58 (Reply)

I loved that movie too! Emma Watson is lovely and so talented.

3. Randy Greene on 18.06.2013 at 09:59 (Reply)

I was hoping to scroll down and see Emma’s response in the comments section….

4. Science Dogood on 19.06.2013 at 18:56 (Reply)

Susan, thanks for linking to this interview. As a 50-something, I never would have come across this by browsing the Rookie website. Yet, I find much that resonates. I think Emma speaks for a lot of introverts when she talks about the desire to make things that have value. And I love this quote:

“I just feel so uncomfortable being a Google News article.”

5. Shana Kaplan on 21.06.2013 at 01:10 (Reply)

Dear Ms. Cain,

The Rookie magazine interview was the best I’ve ever read with Emma. I have always liked Emma as a person b/c we share similar interests, values, and philosophies. After reading the Rookie article I realized we have something deeper in common. The quote you posted by Emma is the one that brought tears to my eyes when I read it b/c it’s my life too. I have often felt like there was something wrong with me since early childhood. “Sensitivity, seriousness, shyness.” Not going along with what my friends did, etc. All me. I feel a total connection to Emma as a person understanding exactly how she feels & how difficult the celebrity part of her job must be for her. Some people say, “How could you be an actor and be shy?” & being shy and a teacher myself I understand exactly how it’s possible. What Emma does on the red carpet I similarly do in the classroom. It’s a show. You do it because you’re required to for your job, but it doesn’t mean you’re entirely comfortable doing it. Like you said “many people pretend to be extroverts”. You pretend so well that people are shocked and in disbelief when they learn that you’re actually shy. Recently, I have also started working in the performing arts as a background actor. My 1st job was working on Noah last summer. I didn’t get to work with Emma but I found a love for acting & I’m kicking myself for letting my shyness and fears of failure and rejection get in the way of exploring something I’ve always been interested in. I am much older than Emma but she inspires me very much & I value her opinions and judgement. So when she mentioned your book in the article I immediately looked it up online and read an excerpt. It didn’t take me long to realize I had to buy your book. I am almost finished reading it and I love it. It’s helping me so much. I have so many notes in the margin and as I read it I’m learning a lot about myself. I also think of Emma and what a grand thing it would be to have just a normal intellectual conversation about your book with her and to thank her for inspiring me and I want to thank you too, Ms Cain, for helping me realize that though I’m introverted there’s nothing wrong with me. I am fine the way I am.

6. Josh Hamit on 21.06.2013 at 04:17 (Reply)

Hi Susan,

It would be great if you could interview Emma! I just bought your book and shall be reading it with great interest.

Josh

7. Turtle on 24.06.2013 at 14:20 (Reply)

I am a 62-year-old extreme introvert. I too felt like I was like no other person around me for most of my life. Everybody else talked so fast I could not make a comment. They all made friends easily. They all hung out together. I just wanted to be by myself. So I hid in closets, under my bed, up a big ol’ magnolia tree in the yard, anyplace I could find so I could have a moment of peace. I was in my mid 40′s when the internet took off. Somehow I stumbled on a Myers-Briggs test. I was identified as an INFP and I was absolutely gob smacked as I read the description because it was describing me! So there were other people out there like me, not many, but some. I started reading books on introversion, Laney’s ‘The Introvert Advantage’ and Rufus’s ‘Party of One-The Loner’s Manifesto’ were two of my early favorites. But I certainly give top honors to Cain’s ‘Quiet’. You’ve GOT to read this book if you are or know an introvert.
    And why aren’t there any books out there for how extroverts can relate better to intronerts???

1. Red Dog on 25.06.2013 at 22:25 (Reply)

I’m approximately the same age as you. A long, long time ago when I was still a young child, my parents cared enough about me to have raised questions about my nature to those who had experience in psychology. They were told that I was a highly sensitive, very intelligent child and that there was nothing wrong with me. Fortunately I learned to accept myself and not care whether I ever fit in with the cultural expectations of the world at large. Over time I realized that there was no way I ever could. Early on, I learned my limitations as well as my strengths.

Expecting extroverts to “better relate to introverts” or trying to get them to do so is wishful thinking.

As an old saying goes: “Never try to teach a pig to sing. You will only end up irritating the pig.”

OTOH, you CAN teach yourself to cope with living in a world of extroverts. Attaining assertiveness is part of learning how to cope with the forwardness and adversity that extroverts often advance. I suggest that you focus on coping with the predominant world of extroverts, rather than wishing for publication of a tract that might change them.

“If you want to change the world, begin with yourself.”

You can never change yourself from being an introvert into being an extrovert. That simply can’t be done and it’s not my intent in quoting the phrase. What I’m trying to convey is that you can learn to cope with living in a world of extroverts. ;-)

8. Mo on 05.07.2013 at 18:23 (Reply)

I am adult HP fan and am nearly done reading the series for the, I think it’s 3rd or 4th time.

I admit I inwardly squealed when I read this. She’s one of us! I sure hope you can get an interview with her!

1. Red Dog on 05.07.2013 at 21:33 (Reply)

What does the phrase “adult HP fan” refer to?

Apparently Emma Watson is a currently popular actress. What is it that makes an adult squeal (inwardly) at reading the words of a young actress?

I am an adult and I am also an introvert, but I don’t squeal (inwardly or outwardly) – because I think that being an adult and/or being an introvert has nothing to do with the enjoyment of immaturity (being the delayed attainment of maturity), or possibly expressed by squealing. Perhaps extroverts also squeal in delight of her as well.

So – she, and you, and we all may be introverted, but IMO not all introverts squeal. Not all introverts are immature. Immaturity is usually outgrown over time. ***But introversion is an immutable trait that can never be outgrown.***

There is no connection between introversion and other attributes, be they attractive or unattractive.

Consider this: close to 50% of the people you meet or see in daily life, including those who are stars in the media ARE introverts. Some talk about it or promote themselves with it, and some don’t. What does it matter?

1. Red Dog on 05.07.2013 at 21:42 (Reply)

I Googled the plot of this movie and found that there are many many psychological problems presented in it, other than introversion.

Introversion is a trait of close to 50% of the human population. Introversion is not to be confused or equated with psychological problems.

1. Mo on 05.07.2013 at 21:53 (Reply)

@ Red Dog

What on earth are you on about? The only one here talking about psychological problems is you. Seems like you are the one with such problems, judging from your rude comments to me, plus the fact that you have Google the plot of “this movie”.

1. Red Dog on 06.07.2013 at 10:52 (Reply)

Here’s the quote from Emma Watson herself: “Quiet discusses how extroverts in our society are bigged up so much, and if you’re anything other than an extrovert you’re made to think there’s something wrong with you. That’s like the story of my life.”

We all have psychological problems, whether we want to admit it or not, but their degree of severity and our ability to cope successfully with them is what matters. The important point is that being introverted is NOT a psychological problem. That’s the central message of the book, Quiet, and acknowledged in the remainder of Ms. Watson’s quote.

Many introverts have other problems that they think are related to their introversion. It simply isn’t the case. And there is nothing nasty about my saying that.

You are showing defensiveness in taking my comments personally. I haven’t seen her movie, which is why I needed to Google it. The plot as described does have characters exhibiting many psychological problems.

Ms. Watson can endorse Susan’s book, and that’s fine. But it doesn’t mean that Ms. Watson’s film is about introversion, even though she admits she is an introvert. Nor does it mean that all introverts will necessarily enjoy a film about characters who have other problems.

If you want to be a fan of Ms. Watson and her movies, that’s fine. But it’s really off the topic of this board, which is about introversion.

2. Mo on 05.07.2013 at 21:48 (Reply)

Good grief! What a load of nastiness toward a perfect stranger who’s done nothing to you. You don’t even appear to know who Emma Watson is or what Harry Potter is, so why are you bothering to comment here at all? (Especially when your comment makes so little sense anyway.)

1. Red Dog on 06.07.2013 at 10:54 (Reply)

My response appears above.

9. JUstHadTo on 30.07.2013 at 08:58 (Reply)

I love Emma Watson and reading this about her just makes me love her even more. She is very endearing:).