Dear @Lexus, you owe introverts an apology

Introverts respond via social media:

share this Dear @Lexus, you owe introverts an apology

1. David Seruyange on 19.09.2013 at 09:49 (Reply)

The irony of which is that the car was probably designed and built by introverted people… then marketing took over. :)

1. Susan Cain on 19.09.2013 at 10:35 (Reply)

David, what a funny thought!

2. DivaShop on 19.09.2013 at 10:15 (Reply)

Absolutely idiotic! Let’s hope enough introverts make them realize the stupidity of their ad. I responded to their tweet. https://twitter.com/divashop/status/380711029295964160

1. Tom Kiefer on 19.09.2013 at 12:37 (Reply)

So did I. https://twitter.com/Thogek/status/380732450294358016

We should all go retweet and favorite the critical introversion-is-okay and you-don’t-understand-introversion responses to Lexus’s original tweet, get them at least as much attention as the original.

1. DivaShop on 19.09.2013 at 19:53 (Reply)

Haha, loving the Princess Bride reference! Good for you! :)

3. Linda S. on 19.09.2013 at 10:58 (Reply)

More irony: the pictured car is barely peeking out of the shadows, rather than standing boldly in a spotlight at the center of attention. If I had to assign an “I” or an “E” to that car as pictured, it would get a great big ol’ “I”! ‘Tis such a silly thing for Lexus to have posted, for so many reasons!

4. Chionesu on 19.09.2013 at 18:02 (Reply)

If anyone felt tremors today, it was due to my jaw hitting the floor at such asininity. >:|

5. Red Dog on 19.09.2013 at 21:49 (Reply)

I used to get disturbed at such things. I’ve lived long enough to know that manufacturers (especially makers and sellers of cars) will say virtually anything, including all sorts of absolute nonsense and outright lies to sell their product.

Commercial advertising no longer offends me, especially televised ads. That’s what the mute and off buttons on the remote are for. America runs on bullshit. Get used to it and ignore it.

As a relevant point I’m reminded of the droll reply Alfred Hitchcock once made to those who became upset over his films, whereupon he wisely said “It’s ONNNly a MOOvie.” ;-)

6. Judi on 29.09.2013 at 17:17 (Reply)

Funny how a used IS will cost upwards of 35,000.00, and the Lexus website is not forthcoming with the pricing on the new models. I’ll keep my introversion and my $35,000.00, thank you.

7. Steve Hulbert on 18.02.2014 at 15:40 (Reply)

I’m not a fan of asking for/demanding apologies personally. They will almost always be insincere and for PR reasons in cases like this. And the greater effect will be to make introverts seem touchy.

1. Red Dog on 18.02.2014 at 22:00 (Reply)

There is nothing on earth more worthless than an apology that has been demanded of another.

Any demand for an apology reeks of dominance by the one who demands it: the response to the imposed demand of an apology will generate one of mere lip service. An apologetic reply obtained by demand or by force is not truly genuine. An apology obtained by force is as disingenuous as the demand for it.

So Lexus owes no one an apology. We can ignore them and not buy their product.

THAT action speaks louder than words. The silence may be deafening. Lexus will get the message if no one buys their product. But we will never have the satisfaction of hearing them apologize upon demand - and that is no loss, because the demand for an apology is a form of retribution. ;-)

1. Steve Hulbert on 19.02.2014 at 04:26 (Reply)

I just don’t think it’s a big deal. If they want to market their products in that way and extroverts think “hey, that sounds cool” then so what? This is the trouble with social movements like this, they end up trying to silence dissenting thought.

2. Delriaan on 19.02.2014 at 12:33 (Reply)

The problem I have with the “just ignore them” approach is that it is self-silencing and in fact enables the mindset those committing the act in question.

The issue at hand may not be a big deal in and of itself, but I would say that it’s a characteristic of a cultural impression in which the introverted and shy are easy whipping posts precisely because so many of them simply ignore the issue.

Not buying their product doesn’t send a clear message without someone articulating the reason.

1. Steve Hulbert on 19.02.2014 at 13:10 (Reply)

I’m not silencing myself. I just genuinely don’t care enough to “speak up”. If I thought this advert would make a huge difference to the cultural landscape, I might. Since I don’t, I don’t.