MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:

Networking For Introverts, w/ Susan Cain and Marie Forleo (video)

“Networking for Introverts” — in which I chat with the lovely Marie Forleo on MarieTV.

facebook share susan cain Networking For Introverts, w/ Susan Cain and Marie Forleo (video)

twitter share susan cain Networking For Introverts, w/ Susan Cain and Marie Forleo (video)

google plus share susan cain Networking For Introverts, w/ Susan Cain and Marie Forleo (video)

Want more stories like this?

Enter your email address in the box below and I’ll send you all my favorites!

Video source: MarieForleo.com

More like this: My YouTube Channel

1. Christine on 13.11.2013 at 11:31 (Reply)

Once again Susan Cain has hit the nail on the head and eloquently provides a voice for my quiet children! I will, again, forward this to their teachers in hopes that they realize just because they don’t shout out answers, constantly offer their opinion, etc. doesn’t mean they aren’t participating!!! Given their grades you’d think the teachers would recognize that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SUSAN!!!

1. Diane on 13.11.2013 at 19:43 (Reply)

Christine, I was one of those kids you are talking about! I was always accused of not participating, but when called upon, I always had the right answer. Back in the 60′s when I was beginning school, they didn’t know what to make of it. They administered a series of tests, and gave me a speech teacher (I had no problem speaking- I just didn’t want to) to figure out what was “wrong” with me. I remember them talking to my mother about it in front of me as if i wouldn’t understand what they were talking about. I passed all the tests handily and the speech teacher said I spoke perfectly. They were left dumbfounded and didn’t know what to do with me. I wanted to tell them just leave me alone and let me be who I am but my 6 year old brain combined with my introversion couldn’t get the words out. I hope things have changed in the schools since then and there is more understanding for kids of all types, but something tells me it hasn’t.

2. Cheryl Pickett on 13.11.2013 at 13:04 (Reply)

I am either an ambivert, somewhere in the middle, or an introvert that has learned to be somewhat extroverted. For example, speaking or selling do not scare me (partly because I’ve had training), but when I work, I prefer quiet rather than music playing in the background.

The two strategies I liked were the idea of the quota system and the idea of finding just a person or two at a networking event and calling it good because. The idea of reframing a lot of things that have been ruled by extroverts is cool too. I will get getting your book soon and can’t wait to read it! Thank you for the work you’re doing.

3. Deborah Penner on 13.11.2013 at 14:25 (Reply)

I felt so freed by “When you’re ready to fly don’t deny!” When I’m done, I’m just done and if I take care of myself I am good …. if not not so much … so thank you for that!

4. Mark Brinker on 13.11.2013 at 14:28 (Reply)

Marie and Susan, thanks so much for doing this video. Tons of great info. If I had pick one thing that really resonated with me it’s the “decision-free living” concept you talked about.

As you say, making decisions is so mentally and emotionally taxing. But when you have things planned out in advance where you don’t have to think about them, it allows you to conserve more energy for creative purposes.

Thanks again. Great video.

5. Diane on 13.11.2013 at 19:50 (Reply)

The word “networking” terrifies me. I liked the concept of “finding kindred spirits” but even doing that is a little foreboding. I actually enjoy social situations when I know a fair amount of people already. And if people are enjoying themselves, I can usually hang for quite awhile before getting drained. It is the professional scenarios that I find most difficult - conferences, seminars, etc where you find yourself in a room full of people that you don’t know. Even though we all have something in common (field of work), I still find it difficult to approach people. Small talk is the worst… but it seems that is where we must start in most cases.

6. Laura on 13.11.2013 at 20:05 (Reply)

I really like the idea of “kindred spirits”. I dread the way our company pushes networking but like the idea that I may be searching for someone I was destined to meet. Moves it from a chore to an adventure.

7. RIch Day on 13.11.2013 at 22:21 (Reply)

I love reframing the concept of networking as “finding kindred spirits”. I’ve worked in business all my life, and for a good part of this time in sales. I sell a consumable product, so the clients I work with I see on an ongoing basis. I can tell you in this market I do not want to sell everyone, only those what will be exceptionally successful. This is where the kindred spirit becomes so critical. When I meet a new prospective client, they are learning about me, but guess what, I am also learning about them. I look for those that have an eye for value, are loyal, stable, and believe it or not, gratitude is so important. Whenever I find someone inclined to say “thank you” I wrap my arms around them and never let go! Gratitude may be the foundation for loyalty. We all want more sales, but the best sales come from kindred spirits! Find these and you’ll have a customer for life. It’s what we all hope for.