Between these Lines

poem writing 17 year old 600 Between these Lines

Image source: Shutterstock

Dear Readers,

I hope you enjoy this poem by the gifted Amber Rens (who is only 17! though you’d never guess it from her words.)

Between these Lines

the smell of printers ink
the rustle of ancient pages thumbed through carelessly
I am here, if anyone cares to look
but they don’t.  why should they
when I won’t leave this sanctum, my written refuge,
where voices whisper to me so soothingly?

the kings of old have been here
the seers knew this place well
these are their voices now
when they themselves have long since faded into the dust

this is inspiration
imagination
starbursts of color and sound waging war on my senses
competing to see which can compel the strongest feelings,
something I cannot bring myself to muster when I must leave.

what makes you laugh?
what is wrong, that you are moved to tears?
I shake my head and smile.
nothing, I say, nothing is wrong
I laugh and smile for naught at all
do not worry, no, everything’s fine, merely a thought has struck me
yet I know the truth

in this place, my words matter
for to the thirsty pages, my words,
my ink, are as sweet as fresh water
and as valued as precious stones.

it’s funny how sometimes one can only
be heard by saying nothing

facebook share susan cain Between these Lines

twitter share susan cain Between these Lines

google plus share susan cain Between these Lines

Want more stories like this?

Enter your email address in the box below and I’ll send you all my favorites!

Poem shared with me by:
Amber’s proud mother, Rebecca

More like this:
Writing

1. Leslie on 26.11.2013 at 12:00 (Reply)

That’s beautiful.

2. John on 26.11.2013 at 12:09 (Reply)

As an introverted poet myself, I can tell that this young lady has a bright future ahead of her. I hope she stays with it!

3. jimmie lee on 26.11.2013 at 12:34 (Reply)

LOVE.

4. Keri Kight on 26.11.2013 at 12:57 (Reply)

Oh I just love this! What beautiful, honest words.

5. Rich Day on 26.11.2013 at 13:29 (Reply)

Amber Rens, thank you for sharing, this is wonderful. I had to decide if I’d spend my time here commenting about how well you wrote this, or how much I enjoyed it. You have a gift!

6. Joia on 26.11.2013 at 14:32 (Reply)

Dear Susan,

Would you consider hosting a workshop on “Negotiation for Pseudo-Extraverts”?

I’m an introvert, trained from birth to extravert. Having two sets of techniques works well, except (I’m realizing) in conflict situations, when the two negate each other. (Ex. the extravert keeps the introvert from cooling down/stepping back, but the introvert keeps the extravert from yelling or being firm). It’s a complete loss, and very difficult.

Thank you for your time.

7. Lord Del'riaan on 26.11.2013 at 23:12 (Reply)

This was fantastic. Bravo.

8. David on 27.11.2013 at 11:23 (Reply)

Wow! Beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Please share with us more

9. Kim on 27.11.2013 at 13:59 (Reply)

A VERY talented young lady!!

10. Gerry Gerlach on 27.11.2013 at 14:19 (Reply)

Impressive!

11. Jose on 27.11.2013 at 17:07 (Reply)

Lovely. I especially like the last verse. I recall the movie A Bridge Too Far and the General Browning – General Sosabowski dialog before the daring airborne operation into Holland during WW II.
    Gen B: “Is something troubling you General Sosabowski?”
    Gen S: “I’ve said nothing”
    Gen B: “Precisely. Your silence is the thunderous.”

12. Shirley Muhleisen on 27.11.2013 at 20:23 (Reply)

Very enjoyable!

13. sabah on 28.11.2013 at 14:59 (Reply)

hi, iam introvert learner. i study english at university and this will be the last year and i will prepare a thesis. the research proposal of mine is “introvert learners, how to bring out their best” plz i need ur help because i feel lost.

14. JKS on 08.12.2013 at 19:04 (Reply)

Beautiful poem…wise and thoughtful beyond her years…I’d say more…but as usual I’m speechless…

15. Mike on 26.12.2013 at 20:29 (Reply)

Her last two lines express something that hopefully introverts learn in time:

it’s funny how sometimes one can only
    be heard by saying nothing

1. Darwin323 on 28.12.2013 at 12:25 (Reply)

Yes, the value of silence seems to be much underestimated in our culture. I consider myself a bit of a rebel, actually, because of mine. Being a high school student, I am surrounded by people looking to be individuals, and I like to think of my silence as my own personal way or rebelling in a world where everyone seems to be compelled to say something.

16. Robert Ambers Dad on 29.01.2014 at 11:36 (Reply)

I am so thankful for all the kind words and support for Amber and her work. What a blessing to be able to share her gifts and talents with like minds!

1. Susan Cain on 29.01.2014 at 11:45 (Reply)

We are grateful for Amber and her work!

17. sunnie on 29.01.2014 at 13:43 (Reply)

Great poem Amber! Embrace your introvert nature. It is trully a gift.

18. sunnie on 29.01.2014 at 13:46 (Reply)

Great poem, Amber. Embrace your introvert nature. It is trully a gift!