Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Long solo trip
BJ_INFP
 Forum
Long solo trip
on: Sep 29, 2012, 2:55pm

I just returned from a road trip, driving my own vehicle, alone, to the region where I grew up, to see my relatives and classmates. I put 4K miles on my SUV. People were a little surprised that I would attempt such a long journey by myself. But being an introvert helps in a case like this.

I wasn't sure how I'd manage spending lots of downtime with people I hadn't seen in a while, but it turned out wonderfully. Because I was so excited to be going home, I happily spent as much time as possible with my loved ones. Then, I would take breaks and spend a day or two in a hotel, to recharge.

Every stranger I met along the way was helpful, and good. The trip helped snag me right out of my emotional comfort zone, and you know, I'm still intact.

It probably would have been physically and mentally easier if I'd had someone with me, but having to plan the whole itinerary myself helped to build my confidence. And courage.

So don't be shy or afraid to travel, even if you have to go solo. You might even enjoy it.

Proud to be an introvert, shamefully referred to as “shy” during childhood. LOL

Jeffrey
 Forum
Re: Long solo trip
on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:28pm

I like to travel on my own as well. This will be the second year in a row that I will be going on a cruise in January for a week. If friens can't mesh with my travel plans then no problem. I have a good time anyway. I usually meet different people who are like-minded. However, if I don't, then no problem, I still have a good time.

tanita
 Forum
on: Aug 9, 2013, 10:55am

I also love making solotrips. My biggest one was cross the Europe. I visited 7 countries in 15 days which made me very proud of myself. During that time I haven't talked a lot with noone but still had great time. I was writting a lot, walking through the cities and specially enjoyed my time on the dutch coast. At that time I didn't know what introvertism is but now I know, being introvert leads also my holidays icon smile Forum

rwondra
 Forum
on: Apr 8, 2014, 6:38pm

When I graduated college, I took a long driving trip, part solo and part not. The trip was a big rectangle across USA and Canada taking 3 and half months and 15,000 miles in a VW bus; 25 states. From San Francisco to Vancouver BC to Calgary across the Canadian Rockies then Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and across to NYC. All that alone, then the rest with my fiance, south to Florida, and across the south to LA, and back to SF.

It was a great experience.

I also backpacked the Napali Coast of Kawaii alone. I had a great time.

60 year old male software engineer, working 36 years in silicon valley; AB Mathematics; Computer Science UC Berkeley; as a teenager I taught myself how to fix tube radios and TVs. As a 4 year old I put a key into an electrical outlet emulating my mother at the front door; no shock, but small explosion and blackened fingers; I needed to understand electricity. This was my genesis as an engineer. My introversion was encouraged by my family, since I was learning and being quiet. My parents were also quiet. I was also somewhat shy, but not as much as my brother or mother.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.5; Page loaded in: 0.043 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

Wow!
Best Nonfiction Book of 2012

QUIET has been voted the best nonfiction book of 2012
by Goodreads.com

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Facebook

Categories