MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:     

Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Homeschooling
quietgirl35
Homeschooling
on: May 16, 2012, 12:53am

Hello everyone,

I just came across this site and find it quite interesting. While I am not a parent, I thought I'd post here anyway because the topic I am considering would perhaps be of interest to those of you who are parents:

In short, I am wondering if any of you have considered or are currently engaged in homeschooling of your introverted children. The reason I ask is because, in addition to struggling with shyness during my school years, I have read where more extraverted teachers sometimes misunderstand students who are more introverted and don't participate in group activities of the 'typical' classroom. I know I have personally experienced this; even in 'headstart' classes at age 5, I remember standing back from the group when we were all given instruments to make as much noise with as we wished; I covered my ears instead.

My mother has told me in the years since that I probably would have thrived in a homeschool setting. Currently, there is a very active homeschool group in my hometown: The students involved tend to be insightful, introverted, creative, deep-thinking, particularly good at speaking to and with other adults, and free-spirited. They do often take part in public school offerings in the extra-curricular realm, for example, but definitely march to the beat of their own drum.

I just wondered if any of you have experience with this type of education and, if so, if you found it suited your introverted children better than what seems to be a 'one-size-fits-all' typical classroom environment.

I am 34 years old, work as a librarian and freelance writer in a small town in Iowa, and am an introvert.

Robert
Re: Homeschooling
on: May 17, 2012, 12:54pm

I'm not a parent (yet), but I do imagine that if I saw a reason to homeschool my introverted child, I'd want to keep it as short as possible.

We live in an introverted world, and it's important for me that my child grows up to understand introverts, and how to reap all the benefits possible.

Ironically, if I had an troublesome kid, one who causes lots of disruption at school, and is the "clown of the class", I'd rather pull them out and home school them for a year or two.

of course this all depends on money!

————————————-
Psychological Type : INTJ
Without Quiet you can not hear the inner workings of your mind.

Red Dog
 Forum
on: May 17, 2012, 6:41pm

Quote from Zenettii on May 17, 2012, 12:54pm

We live in an introverted world, and it's important for me that my child grows up to understand introverts, and how to reap all the benefits possible.

Is this what you meant to say? Please clarify as I think most of us would agree that it's an extroverted world in which we live.

beegmore
 Forum
on: May 29, 2012, 4:17pm

I am the mother of an extremely shy introvert. I do send her to a homeschool co-op. this was her first year and it can be just as damanging as any other school. it is small so she cannot fly under the radar. the kids are just as extroverted as they would be at any other school and they have the same expectations of her as would other schools. i'm not sure if just keeping her at home and homeschooling her 100% and never leaving the house is the best answer either. I'm not sure what the answer is, i know she is growing more and more depressed seeing others interact with an ease that she knows she will never be capable of, and kids just don't have time for this kind of behavior.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.3 ; Page loaded in: 0.042 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

News Flash!
Quiet is now an
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
and Indie Next
Best Books of the
Month pick!
Join Our Book Club

Sign up today and stay up-to-date with reading selections chosen specifically for our readers.

Sign-Up Here!

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Twitter
  • @courtwrites @jase_sweeney @thecity2_0 Amazing! Thanks so much for telling me. How can I help?
  • @Brad_Williamson oh definitely. It's all related.
  • RT @anamanao: How does NBA star LeBron James prepare for games? He engages in quiet, focused reading. http://t.co/yf5XeKsm @susancain @ ...
Susan on Facebook

Categories