MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:     

Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: planning down time
timlarison
 Forum
planning down time
on: Jun 19, 2012, 7:57pm

I'm writing this from a work conference with lots of networking opportunities. Yesterday after a day of travel and four hours of meetings I could see the possibility of the group going out to dinner afterwards. One of the benefits I got from reading "Quiet" was to know my introvert tendencies and the need for down time.

So I slipped away quietly after the four hours of meetings saying I had some work to attend to back at the hotel (I did, but the main reason was to avoid the night time social activities). This worked out very well as I was able to have some alone time back at the room and got a full night's sleep. Today I talked to another in our group and, sure enough, they were out past midnight and she remarked she only got 5 hours sleep.

Today was a day full of networking (including me being interviewed on video). I was much more rested today than yesterday and I did fine. As I type this I'm spending a couple of hours in the room to "recharge my batteries" before more social interaction tonight.

Do any of you find "alone time" breaks during intense periods of social interaction helpful?

Red Dog
 Forum
Re: planning down time
on: Jun 20, 2012, 12:32pm

Quote from timlarison on Jun 19, 2012, 7:57pm

So I slipped away quietly after the four hours of meetings saying I had some work to attend to back at the hotel (I did, but the main reason was to avoid the night time social activities). This worked out very well as I was able to have some alone time back at the room and got a full night's sleep. Today I talked to another in our group and, sure enough, they were out past midnight and she remarked she only got 5 hours sleep.

Today was a day full of networking (including me being interviewed on video). I was much more rested today than yesterday and I did fine. As I type this I'm spending a couple of hours in the room to "recharge my batteries" before more social interaction tonight.

Do any of you find "alone time" breaks during intense periods of social interaction helpful?

Absolutely. But sleep deprivation or sleep deficit is not exclusive to being an introvert. The trend in our current culture is one of hyper-competitiveness: 'I can work faster/longer/harder and I will succeed at any cost'. But we never hear about these people after they burn out. They are doubtless replaced by others with a similar mindset. It is probably more common in young people who think they are invincible. Sometimes we read about tragic vehicle accidents however, where sleep deprivation plays a role.

If you want to be more assertive, next time slip away with the realization that you need not provide any reason or explanation for wanting to be alone during off hours. icon wink Forum

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.4 ; Page loaded in: 0.027 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

News Flash!
Quiet is now an
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
and Indie Next
Best Books of the
Month pick!
Join Our Book Club

Sign up today and stay up-to-date with reading selections chosen specifically for our readers.

Sign-Up Here!

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Twitter
  • @HefferonJoe thank you-- Just read and absolutely loved your lacrosse story.
  • @brainpicker Thank you! I love your site.
  • @KatheMazur I am so lucky they chose you to read QUIET! Thank you, Kathe.
Susan on Facebook

Categories