MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:     

Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Any nurses out there?
superquiet
Any nurses out there?
on: Oct 14, 2012, 1:21am

I'm not sure if nursing is suitable for an introvert. The caring, sensitive part is, but the multitasking and overstimulation of urgent type situations isn't. What are your thoughts if you're a nurse?

sunfire
Re: Any nurses out there?
on: Oct 18, 2012, 10:41am

Hi there. I've been a nurse for about 20 years in the hospital environment. I would consider myself on the extreme version of introversion. I will tell you that there are times when the loud, fast paced environment can be too much at times, but I have adjusted to it. I have been told many times that I have the ability to keep others calm in a crisis situation, such as a code, just by my calm demeanor. When I first started out I was constantly told that I "wouldn't make it" "you don't talk enough". I spoke up for my patients and co-workers when necessary. My patients were always well cared for. I went from staff nurse to charge nurse and I am now a nurse manager. I would encourage you to persue nursing if that is what you want.

tangly
on: Dec 23, 2012, 1:31am

I'm an ex-nurse (but I lasted 13 years), and I have to say it exhausted me! New patients/shift staff etc. every single day required a bit more extroversion than I could muster - although I liked the actual work. I ended up with anxiety and anxiety-related skin conditions. Not a good match for my temperament, but it was good experience.

If you want to go into it, I'd suggest looking at positions where you can focus on one person at a time - like visiting nurse or ICU. (I know a nurse who works in operating theatre because she doesn't have to chat to so many new people!)

I now work as a health librarian, and it suits me MUCH better. Good luck!

shaw
on: Jan 9, 2013, 5:51pm

I have worked as an oncology nurse for five years. Being a nurse has definitely helped me learn to communicate better. There is a difference when your issues of being quiet are dwarfed in comparison to health issues that your patients are facing. Your issues have no place in that environment. Your job is to help them. There are areas in nursing that are probably more suited to an introverted individual too- home care, palliative, etc.

I love my job, and I love the quiet I go home to after a busy day.

Red Dog
 Forum
on: Jan 9, 2013, 8:18pm

Quote from shaw on Jan 9, 2013, 5:51pm

I have worked as an oncology nurse for five years. Being a nurse has definitely helped me learn to communicate better. There is a difference when your issues of being quiet are dwarfed in comparison to health issues that your patients are facing.

I 'take issue' with your phrase "…when your issues of being quiet".

Being quiet means being a good listener and communicating softly, quietly. Being quiet is not the same as being SILENT or having an inability to communicate.

Your issues have no place in that environment.

The implication you make is that being quiet is an "issue" (AKA in older days as a 'problem') and that in some way those who struggle with the stresses of a demanding job are inherently inadequate.

Even doctors need 'down time'. Intense focus and concentration can be demanding, as can the constant demand of paperwork and record keeping after the work is done.

Your job is to help them. There are areas in nursing that are probably more suited to an introverted individual too- home care, palliative, etc.

I love my job, and I love the quiet I go home to after a busy day.

Good for you, that you love your job. However, your statements and the way in which you phrase them imply that you are not an introvert. Being introverted or having a quiet nature is not in itself an "issue" nor is it a deficiency. That's the whole point of the book and of this forum.

tangly
on: Jan 19, 2013, 4:41pm

Quote from shaw on Jan 9, 2013, 5:51pm

Your issues have no place in that environment. Your job is to help them.

Yeah, constantly being told that my wellbeing didn't matter was the reason I stayed for so long, but in the end, it did matter. I had bleeding dermatitis from stress, insomnia and was constantly anxious and stressed. It's great that you can handle it, but I couldn't, and there are many other ways to help people.

I just wish Susan's book had been around back then, so I didn't have to feel so bad about myself at the time.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.4 ; Page loaded in: 0.114 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

News Flash!
Bill Gates names "The Power of Introverts" one of his all-time favorite TED Talks.

Thanks for Voting!

QUIET has been voted the best nonfiction book of 2012
by Goodreads.com

Join Our Book Club

Sign up today and stay up-to-date with reading selections chosen specifically for our readers.

Sign-Up Here!

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Twitter
  • @CasperReaves Thanks for the feedback, Casper! I'm glad you enjoyed #QUIET.
  • @AineSays Wow, thanks Áine!
  • RT @ElmhurstCollege: Don't miss author @susancain on 2/17 at Elmhurst College speak about Power of Introverts! http://t.co/ypgELGKE Get ...
Susan on Facebook

Categories