MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:     

Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: All those artists, thinkers, leaders
lapjoint
All those artists, thinkers, leaders
on: Dec 9, 2012, 2:21am

I have just finished reading "Quiet" and have enjoyed it, mostly. But there is one thing that bugs me immensely (the same goes for other non-fiction books of this type, e.g., those by Malcolm Gladwell).

It seems that every person mentioned in the book belongs to some elite caste of ivy-league lawyers, high-powered business types, award-winning writers, and world-changing scientists. "Solve problems, make art, think deeply."

Nobody in the book is ever a janitor, or works in a factory, or makes minimum wage flipping burgers, or is a stay-at-home mother who does *not* run an incredibly successful business on the side.

That said, I think the ideas in the book are valid, but I'd like to see them applied to the people who actually keep the world running smoothly, too.

Regards,

Christoph

Ronrodent
Re: All those artists, thinkers, leaders
on: Jan 8, 2013, 6:24pm

There's your next book idea, Susan!

Director in the Sport industry; university adjunct professor in Sport Management. Married, 2 college-aged children.

Red Dog
 Forum
Re: All those artists, thinkers, leaders
on: Jan 8, 2013, 10:23pm

You may not have noticed, but apart from being the titular administrator and having written few posts when this list was first begun, Susan has never participated here since.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.4 ; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

News Flash!
Bill Gates names "The Power of Introverts" one of his all-time favorite TED Talks.

Thanks for Voting!

QUIET has been voted the best nonfiction book of 2012
by Goodreads.com

Join Our Book Club

Sign up today and stay up-to-date with reading selections chosen specifically for our readers.

Sign-Up Here!

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Twitter
  • @CasperReaves Thanks for the feedback, Casper! I'm glad you enjoyed #QUIET.
  • @AineSays Wow, thanks Áine!
  • RT @ElmhurstCollege: Don't miss author @susancain on 2/17 at Elmhurst College speak about Power of Introverts! http://t.co/ypgELGKE Get ...
Susan on Facebook

Categories