MAILING LIST SUBSCRIPTION:     

Forum

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Topic: Coping skills for an introvert
Gizmom
Coping skills for an introvert
on: Jan 10, 2013, 3:17am

I am looking for some help for my 11 year old son who is the 'classic' introvert. He is great at speaking to an audience, but does not cope well when in the crowd. He gets so anxious in certain social situations that it makes him sick.

As an introvert myself, I fully understand how he feels, but at the same time know he has to learn to cope in an extrovert world.

So I am looking for any tips or coping skills that have worked for others…

Red Dog
 Forum
Re: Coping skills for an introvert
on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:49am

Quote from Gizmom on Jan 10, 2013, 3:17am

I am looking for some help for my 11 year old son who is the 'classic' introvert. He is great at speaking to an audience, but does not cope well when in the crowd. He gets so anxious in certain social situations that it makes him sick.

As an introvert myself, I fully understand how he feels, but at the same time know he has to learn to cope in an extrovert world.

So I am looking for any tips or coping skills that have worked for others…

Having been on this list for a while I have found that many introverts ask for help with their problems here. Often they confuse their being introverted with a lack of coping skills, and that is usually the lack of the ability of being assertive.

I have been recommending books written by Manual Smith, PhD, who wrote the original (and IMHO the best) self-help books ever written on assertiveness. I discovered his books through a book he wrote specifically for helping parents to teach their children to be assertive. The title is "Yes, I Can Say No". I'm sure you will find it helpful.

For more information and reviews of the book here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Can-Say-No-Assertiveness/dp/0877958289.

Pages: [1]
WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 1.7.4 ; Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.

share this Forum
Quiet: The Book

- Wall Street Journal

News Flash!
Bill Gates names "The Power of Introverts" one of his all-time favorite TED Talks.

Thanks for Voting!

QUIET has been voted the best nonfiction book of 2012
by Goodreads.com

Join Our Book Club

Sign up today and stay up-to-date with reading selections chosen specifically for our readers.

Sign-Up Here!

Manifesto

1. There’s a word for “people who are in their heads too much”: thinkers.

2. Our culture rightly admires risk-takers, but we need our “heed-takers” more than ever.

3. Solitude is a catalyst for innovation.

Read More

Join the Quiet Revolution
Susan on Twitter
  • @CasperReaves Thanks for the feedback, Casper! I'm glad you enjoyed #QUIET.
  • @AineSays Wow, thanks Áine!
  • RT @ElmhurstCollege: Don't miss author @susancain on 2/17 at Elmhurst College speak about Power of Introverts! http://t.co/ypgELGKE Get ...
Susan on Facebook

Categories